School starts for most of Brevard on August 18. Starting tomorrow, August 1, Floridians will get a three-day tax break on clothing, supplies and computers.
The tax holiday starts at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, August 1 and ends Sunday, August 3 at 11:59 p.m. Brand new this year, the sales tax exemption for clothing items increased to $100 or less per item from $75 or less per item in 2013. The sales tax exemption for personal computers and certain computer-related accessories will be on the first $750 of the sales price rather than $750 or less per item in 2013.
During this tax holiday, no sales tax or local option tax will be collected on purchases of:
- Clothing, footwear, and certain accessories selling for $100 or less per item
- Certain school supplies selling for $15 or less per item
- Personal computers and certain computer-related accessories on the first $750 of the sales prices, when purchased for noncommercial home or personal use
This tax holiday does not apply to:
- Any item of clothing selling for more than $100
- Any school supply item selling for more than $15
- Books that are not otherwise exempt
- Rentals or leases of any of these items
- Repairs or alterations of any of these items
- Sales of clothing, school supplies, or computers and computer-related accessories in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment or airport.
For more information on this sales tax holiday, click here.